[ SIGN the PETITION ]

Friday, August 6, 2010

Afterthought of "Lost"

Dear Readers,

First of all, I want to thank you for spending the time. Personally, I am very excited to have finished my maiden writing of short story. No doubt about it. And the journey itself is absolutely an enjoyment. Comments from you are welcomed. (But please, don't be too harsh.)

The whole idea came about one morning one to two months ago after I woke up. I had thought over the story and more or less formed the backbone. But I did not think I was capable to write it down, so I just let it off. Then I met up with friends two weeks ago, and Wei Sheng was suggesting to create a story with photograph collage. We needed a script. So I thought, why not write it down? I spent the whole weekends to finish the body (after a week of grant report writing, gosh), and intermittently for a few days, to touch-up.

To my own surprise, even if I did not experience it, stories can be formed from somewhere. I guess it is an accumulation of experience from movies, news, etc. I have read very few novels (scientific articles are better reading for me), but Murakami's Norwegian Wood and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle are two of those I have read. I've also found out that story writing is an evolution too. As I wrote on, the stories were twisted here and there and became enlivened. Listening to music can also help to build up the feeling to start the first line. At least, Joe Hishashi's Princess Mononoke full OST has that magical power for me.

In fact, I am not really sure if this is junk or not. I haven't studied literature before, and I don't know about genre. It seems to have too much of dream and self-thinking inside. I have tried to bring out a few social issues in the story, if you noticed. Although the story utilized two levels of dream, it's not inspired by the movie Inception because I watched it only a few weeks back. The two levels of dream came about because initially, I wanted to portray that the protagonist was so traumatic about the loss that he did not want to accept it, or he thought he had not lost her. Lastly, I plan to invite one of my friends to translate it into Chinese. So, do wait for it if you have a preference for Chinese. If you like the story and want to share it elsewhere (with a citation of source), I will be very much delighted.

Have a nice day!

No comments: